Homeless man beaten to death 'by drunken group'

Police suspect the victim was set upon by the suspects without any prior cause or provocation; incident occurred in Rishon Lezion's old industrial area.

October 1, 2011 20:21
A Magen David Adom ambulance.

Magen David Adom ambulance 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A homeless man was beaten to death in Rishon Lezion on Thursday night. Police arrested four suspects - two adults and two minors - on suspicion of launching a brutal drunken assault on the man as well as a second homeless man who was injured in the incident.

The murder victim has been named as Vladimir Sefivec, 47. Police suspect he was set upon by the suspects without any prior cause or provocation, and have described the incident as a shocking case of random alcohol-fueled violence.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

A Magen David Adom paramedics team that was dispatched at around 5:00 a.m. to the old industrial area in Rishon Lezion, where the men were found, confirmed the man's death on site, and rushed the second man to the Asaf Harofeh Medical Center in the city.

The Rishon Lezion Magistrate's Court extended the suspects' custody by six days on Friday.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night