Majdal Shams man gets 8 months for Naksa Day rioting

Nasser Shaer, 37, first person sentenced for throwing rocks at security forces during Syria border skirmishes, admits to charges in plea deal.

July 7, 2011 14:15
2 minute read.
Syrians hold Palestinian flags in Majdal Shams

Majdal Shams demonstration 311 R. (photo credit: Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Nazareth Magistrates Court on Thursday sentenced a Majdal Shams resident to 8 months in jail as part of a plea deal in which he admitted to throwing stones at security forces who were attempting to prevent Syrian infiltrators from crossing the border into Israel on June 5th during Naksa Day protests.

Nasser Shaer, 37, was the first person from the Druze village to be sentenced for Naksa Day protests in which security forces were pelted with rocks by local residents. He was charged with aggravated assault of a public servant and disorderly conduct.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Majdal Shams lawyer to sue gov't for Naksa Day violence
UN: Israel, protesters at fault in Nakba Day clash

A total of twenty two residents of Majdal Shams were arrested following the riot. Eight people have been formally charged with aggravated assault of a public servant and taking part in a violent disturbance.

The arrests signaled an intent by the police's northern district to enforce a policy of zero tolerance towards violence disturbances, a message Insp.-Gen. Yochanan Danino has reiterated since taking up his post.

Hundreds of Palestinian rioters repeatedly tried to infiltrate Israel throughout Naksa Day in two locations on the Israeli-Syrian border, but were rebuffed by an IDF determined to prevent a repeat of 'Nakba' day scenes in which activists spilled into Israeli territory.

Syrian television claimed 20 activists were killed and 225 were wounded in the disturbances, although the claims could not be independently verified.

Israel Police Spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said that the situation was generally quiet throughout the day within Majdal Shams until the evening hours, when a group of around 100 local protesters made their way down to the area where police were stationed near the Syria border fence and began throwing rocks at officers.

Rosenfeld said police immediately responded with tear gas and dispersed the crowds after around 20-25 minutes, making several arrests of locals in the process.


Rosenfeld said that after the protesters were dispersed police met with local leaders in Majdal Shams in order to calm the situation on the ground.

He added that no police were injured in the clashes with Majdal Shams locals.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night