Mercury poisoning or rabbinical potion?

Mif’al Hapayis senior official arrested for trying to poison co-worker with mercury says liquid was magic potion from a rabbi.

July 2, 2013 02:34
1 minute read.
Beit Mif’al Hapayis in Tel Aviv.

Mif’al Hapayis building 370. (photo credit: GFDL/Wikimedia Commons)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A woman arrested for attempting to poison her co-worker with mercury was merely scattering a magic potion she was given by a rabbi in an attempt to patch things up with her colleague, a lawyer for the woman said Monday.

Attorney Yaron London said that his client, a senior official at the Mif’al Hapayis national lottery who had been feuding with the co-worker for some time, had visited a rabbi who her family knows well. The rabbi gave her the substance and advised her to spread it on the co-worker’s doorknob and office. The rabbi ensured the woman that the liquid would clear the air between her and her office adversary, and that peace would reign in the corridors of the Mif’al Hapayis building in Tel Aviv.

The Rishon Letzion Magistrate’s Court on Monday ordered the woman’s remand to be extended until Monday night, at which point she will be released. The case against her has not been closed, London said.

London said that investigators were able to detect a small amount of mercury in the liquid, but that it wasn’t enough to hurt anyone.

The defendant was arrested on Sunday morning, the day after a security guard saw surveillance camera footage of her walking around the building by herself at night and throwing some sort of liquid on the co-worker’s door handle.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night