Palestinian march in Jerusalem turns violent

Police use riot control for second time in one day to disperse unruly crowd of hundreds.

March 17, 2014 19:45
1 minute read.
Palestinian protesters, police clash at Damascus Gate in Jerusalem on Nakba Day, May 15, 2013.

Palestinians clash with police Damascus Gate (file) 370. (photo credit: REUTERS/Ammar Awad)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


At least one Palestinian man was arrested Sunday night after a march of hundreds of east Jerusalem residents near Damascus Gate turned violent hours after a separate riot on the Temple Mount. According to police, participants marching down Salah a-Din Street threw rocks at officers without provocation, shattering a police vehicle’s windshield and causing other damage.

When the group responsible for the violence ignored warnings to stop, riot-control units used stun grenades to disperse the crowd. No one was injured during the melee, which resulted in a single arrest and thousands of shekels of damage to the police cruiser, a police official said.

Earlier Sunday morning, seven Palestinians were arrested on the Temple Mount for rioting against Construction and Housing Minister Uri Ariel’s scheduled tour of the contested holy site. Upon learning of Ariel’s visit, teens wearing face masks threw stones and firecrackers at visitors and police at approximately 7:30 a.m.

Undeterred by the violence, Ariel participated in a highly restrictive and brief tour, accompanied by a police detail. Following his tour the minister said he would continue to visit the holy site and called for Jewish sovereignty over it.

“The reality in which rioters control the agenda on the Temple Mount and prevent Jews from accessing the area is not acceptable,” Ariel said. “I call on the security forces to help maintain Jewish sovereignty and allow any Jew to access to the Temple Mount.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night


Cookie Settings