Remand of man whose business went up in flames extended

Suspect suspected of keeping a large number of gas canisters in his premises, beyond what is permitted by safety regulations.

April 3, 2012 04:48
Fire at Ra'anana factory

Fire at Ra'anana factory 370. (photo credit: Courtesy / Israel Police)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Kfar Saba Magistrate’s Court extended by a day the remand of a Ra’anana business owner whose store went up in flames on Sunday, sparking explosions and causing panic in the city’s industrial area.

The suspect, Ron Nahum, is suspected of keeping a large number of gas canisters in his premises, beyond what is permitted by safety regulations, police said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The suspect’s attorney, Avital Almogit, agreed to the 24-hour extension in custody, but told the court that the fire began at another location and spread to Nahum’s business.

In her ruling Judge Dana Marshak Merom said there was a reasonable basis of evidence to tie the man to police suspicions against him.

Seven people suffered from smoke inhalation following the fire, though all were classed as being lightly hurt.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night