Two southern residents attempt self-immolation

Police and guards prevent both men from harming themselves; comes one day after Moshe Silman laid to rest.

July 23, 2012 14:52
Magen David Adom ambulances [file]

Magen David Adom ambulances 311. (photo credit: Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Two more Israelis attempted to self-immolate late Sunday night and on Monday, the sixth and seventh attempts in just over a week. Police and security guards managed to prevent both of the men from harming themselves.

In Ofakim, Sunday night, a 65-year-old man threatened to set himself on fire.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Police were called to the scene and prevented him from following through with his threat, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said. 

The man was brought to an area hospital for a psychological evaluation.

On Monday, a 47-year-old resident of southern town of Netivot tried to set himself on fire at the city hall. 

A security guard, together with police, prevented him from hurting himself. 

Police detained the man for questioning.

Moshe Silman, who died Friday after self-immolating a week before in Tel Aviv, was laid to rest in Holon.

Earlier in the day, a 50-year-old disabled IDF veteran set himself alight in Yehud, and was apparently inspired by Silman.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night