League leaders advance into cup quarters

Hapoel Tel Aviv stumbles, but recovers for 2-1 conquest of Ashkelon; Macabbi Haifa dumps Hapoel Jerusalem.

March 3, 2011 04:22
1 minute read.
Hapoel Tel Aviv

Hapoel Tel Aviv 311. (photo credit: Asaf Kliger)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hapoel Tel Aviv and Maccabi Haifa both overcame scares against lowly opposition before making it through to the quarterfinals of the State Cup on Wednesday night.

Hapoel, the reigning cup holder, took the lead against Hapoel Ashkelon after just five minutes, thanks to Toto Tamuz. But complacent play by the hosts saw Ashkelon equalize through Snir Gueta in the 36th minute.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

However, Tel Aviv’s possession dominance was rewarded in the 58th minute, with Dedi Ben-Dayan scoring the winner with a superb strike from the corner of the box to give Hapoel a 2-1 victory at Bloomfield Stadium.

“We didn’t take advantage of our chances in the first half, maybe because we were slightly arrogant,” Hapoel assistant coach Yossi Abuksis said. “We should have finished off the game earlier, but we are still happy to have made it through to the quarterfinals.”

Haifa, looking to recover from Sunday’s 4-1 Premier League thrashing at the hands of Tel Aviv, fell into a shock early deficit against third-division Hapoel Jerusalem, with Greens goalkeeper Nir Davidovich inexplicably turning the ball into his own net in the 19th minute from a relatively harmless Ofir Azu cross.

However, Jerusalem’s lead lasted less than two minutes, with Tomer Hemed heading in the equalizer, before Lior Rafaelov’s accurate volley in the 66th minute ensured Haifa advanced to the next stage with a 2-1 win at Kiryat Eliezer Stadium.

“You could see in the first half that we were playing with absolutely no confidence,” said Haifa coach Elisha Levy, whose team hasn’t won the cup since 1998.

“Jerusalem took the lead and that slightly stressed my players, but we slowly worked our way into the match and we got through this stage which is the most important thing in the cup.”

Tel Aviv and Haifa join Betar Jerusalem, Ironi Kiryat Shmona, Maccabi Netanya, Ashdod SC, Hapoel Haifa and the last remaining National League club – Hapoel Ra’anana – in the last eight, with the quarterfinal draw to take place at Israel Football Association headquarters at National Stadium in Ramat Gan on Thursday night.

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov