Maccabi Petah Tikva draws with Ashdod

The game was Petah Tikva's eighth without a win in all competitions.

November 8, 2005 02:35
2 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Maccabi Petah Tikva stretched its poor run of results Monday evening, drawing at home 2-2 with Ashdod SC in a Premier League match that completed Matchday 8. The game was Petah Tikva's eighth without a win in all competitions and leaves the team in a precarious position in the league standings. Maccabi can at least comfort itself with finally managing to score a goal after it was unable to find the net in its previous three matches. The draw was Ashdod's fifth straight game without a league win and means the team is only three points above the relegation zone. Ashdod seized the initiative from the first whistle and was ahead after just half-a-minute. Maccabi 'keeper Ohad Cohen was unable to handle striker Shai Holtzman's shot and Idan Shriki completed the simple task of prodding the rebound into the net. Petah Tikva recovered from the shock of conceding an early goal and prolific forward Omer Golan equalized with a header 25 minutes into the game. After taking 30 seconds to score in the first half, Ashdod took its time in the second half and scored after 60 seconds. Holtzman ran free of his marker and beat 'keeper Cohen easily to give Ashdod the lead once more. Nine minutes from time, Petah Tikva managed to salvage the draw. Fabrice Lokombo crossed the ball for Shai David, who headed in from three meters out. Lokombo didn't settle for the assist and was rightfully sent off in the 90th minute for a dreadful tackle.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov