BREAKING NEWS

Defective hotplate starts fire at yeshiva on Shabbat

A Jerusalem yeshiva was engulfed in flames early Saturday morning when a defective hotplate ignited a fire. Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after 1 a.m. and were able to evacuate the unidentified building and extinguish the blaze. No injuries were reported. The extent of damage to the building remains unclear.
A subsequent investigation determined that the hotplate, which was left on near cloth during Shabbat, was not industry approved. According to fire officials, a number of fires have been caused over the years during Shabbat by defective hotplates, as well as hotplates placed near flammable materials, such as dish rags or napkins.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >