An Australian court has charged a 52-year-old man with stealing on Sunday four Egyptian artifacts from the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology in Caboolture, Australia, ABC Australia reported on Monday.
The stolen artifacts included a 26th Dynasty rare painted wooden Egyptian cat figure, a 3,300-year-old necklace, a collar, and a mummy mask. All four items had been verified by the British Museum.
In addition, a ring and an ushabti, a funerary figurine, had reportedly been “irreparably damaged” during the break-in.
The man, who has been named by local media as Miguel Simon Mungarrieta Monsalve, was arrested by Queensland Police on Sunday after officers recovered three of the artifacts in Monsalve’s vehicle, and the fourth allegedly on his person.
According to ABC, Monsalve told police and the court he had stolen the artifacts because of a believed “duty” to return the artifacts to their “rightful place,” as the museum holds ties to the Catholic Church.
Museum Curator Michael Strong told the ABC he had expected all four artifacts to have been “smashed beyond repair,” and that the museum was still reeling from the theft.
“To find somebody has taken [the artifacts] using violence… smashed the glass to take them without any care or thought or any consideration for their fragility or their age, to expose them to the Queensland weather at the moment is just a horrendous thing.”
Monsalve was arrested on Russell Island, and reportedly been charged with four counts of wilfull damage, theft, trespassing, assault, and drug possession. Police futher noted that he has “no fixed address,” and ABC reported that he is a Venezualan national.
Bail has not been proposed as Monsalve was deemed “too dangerous” and at risk to committing additional offences, ABC said, noting that the case would resume in March.
‘Shared story of the community’
The museum thanked Queensland Police Service and the public for their response and support after the theft in a Sunday social media post.
“The way everyone has rallied together with compassion and determination has allowed the Museum to keep moving forward positively and continue welcoming visitors during a difficult time,” the statement said.
It explained that though the artifacts had been returned, each piece must undergo “professional assessment and conservation to protect its long-term future” before returning to display.
“These objects belong to the shared story of our community, and preserving them properly is our highest priority,” the museum said. “Although this process will take time, it gives us an opportunity to rebuild the space thoughtfully and respectfully.”