Five indicted for Tel Aviv hospital attack on security guards

Because of the assault, a police officer will now be stationed 24/7 at the hospital.

Violent scenes at Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital, September 28, 2017 (photo credit: SCREENSHOT/ICHILOV HOSPITAL)
Violent scenes at Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital, September 28, 2017
A teenage female patient and four accomplices were indicted on Sunday for their roles in the September assault of four security guards outside the emergency room entrance of Tel Aviv’s Ichilov Hospital.
The group appeared in the Tel Aviv District Court.
According to the indictment, at approximately 2 a.m. on September 28, Elia Kadosh, 19, who was accompanied by one of the suspects, began yelling at hospital staff after complaining of improper treatment.
Moments later she allegedly attempted to take a cell phone from one of the emergency room nurses forcefully, at which time a security guard removed Kadosh and her friend from the building.
While being escorted out, Kadosh threatened the hospital staff, stating that her husband, David Amuyal, would come to the hospital to “beat them to a pulp,” the indictment states.
Violent scenes at Tel Aviv"s Ichilov Hospital, September 28, 2017 (Ichilov Hospital Spokesperson)
Roughly one hour later, video footage shows Amuyal and four other suspects arrive in a car at the ER’s entrance.
After entering the building and finding the security guard who removed his wife, Amuyal said: “I’m your devil, just you wait,” adding, “Not in front of the cameras, I’ll get you outside,” the indictment states.
A video then shows Amuyal and his four friends punch and kick the guard outside the building, knocking him to the pavement. When three other guards attempted to intervene, the group is seen beating them as well before fleeing in the vehicle.
Kadosh, who remained at the hospital, was arrested by police minutes later after punching a female officer twice in the face and biting her, the indictment states. Despite being handcuffed, Kadosh kicked several other responding officers, forcing them to shackle her ankles as well.
Four of the other suspects were arrested a short time later after being found in Bat Yam, while Amuyal fled the country.
On Sunday, a judge placed Kadosh under house arrest and extended the remand of the four accomplices pending an ongoing investigation by prosecutors.
Following the assault, the hospital’s medical director, Prof. Ronni Gamzu, demanded that officers be stationed on the premises at all times going forward.
“This is a very serious incident that reflects the helplessness of the system against criminals who act violently against medical personnel,” said Gamzu.
“Based on my decision today, a policeman will be stationed 24/7 in the emergency room, and I expect this soon to be the case at all hospitals.”
Moreover, Gamzu said he demanded the Ministry of Public Security and police prosecute the family members to the fullest extent of the law to send a firm message.
“I especially expect the judicial system to enforce a severe punishment that will eventually serve as a deterrence against anyone who attacks doctors, nurses and health workers,” he added.
Health Minister Ya’acov Litzman said he strongly condemned the attack on the hospital staff.
“This is a criminal and serious act that must be denounced as a dangerous phenomenon that threatens the welfare of health workers,” said Litzman. “Violence against the hospital staff must not be tolerated.”
Litzman also called for tougher punishment and increased enforcement to deter attacks on medical teams.
“I expect the Israel Police to act [strongly] against offenders,” he added.
Judy Siegel contributed to this report.