Barak approves NU tour of Palestinian-controlled area of Hebron
By JPOST.COM STAFFPublished: MAY 17, 2009 09:33Advertisement
Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Sunday approved a National Union tour of Hebron, including of the Palestinian-controlled H-1 area.
National Union MKs and their aides, as well as representatives of Hebron's Jewish community, are expected to participate in the tour.
As a follow-up to the 1997 Oslo Accords, then-prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority chairman Yasser Arafat signed the Hebron Protocol, which divided the city into two zones: H-1, encompassing some 80 percent of the city territory, was given to Palestinian control; the remaining 20 percent, including the Jewish enclaves, was given to the Israelis and is called H-2.
Daniella Cheslow contributed to this report
var cont = `Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5
Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content