Poll: 63% say settler violence wrong

15-year-old who suffered skull fracture regains consciousness at Hadassah.

amona climbing 298 88 (photo credit: AP [file])
amona climbing 298 88
(photo credit: AP [file])
A Geocartography poll commissioned by Army Radio on Thursday morning found that 70 percent of those polled blamed Wednesday's violence in Amona on past Israeli governments who encouraged the settlement enterprise. Of those asked, 63% said that while they understood the settlers' sense of betrayal, their use of violence was unjustified. A whopping 85% told pollsters that they believed the demolitions were politically motivated. The settlers and their supporters were held responsible by 39% while 19% blamed the police and 31% apportioned blame equally between the two sides. In addition, 64% blamed the leaders of the Council of Judea, Samaria, and Gaza (Yesha) for Wednesday's incident, 57% blamed the rabbis who educated the youths and 51% blamed Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's government for failing to reach a peaceful resolution to the violence.
During the clashes, thousands of protesters barricaded themselves in, on, and around the buildings slated for destruction. They pelted security forces with rocks, sand, and anything else within reach. The troops responded with a great deal of force as well. At least 219 people were wounded during the clashes. Fifteen remained in the hospital on Thursday morning, Army Radio reported. Yehiam Eyal, 15, who suffered a skull fracture Wednesday during the demolition, regained consciousness overnight at Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem and was able to speak with his parents. Eyal, who has been hospitalized since Wednesday afternoon, was still listed in serious condition on Thursday. However, doctors said that his life was not in danger and he would not suffer brain damage as a result of his wound. During and after the destruction of the outpost, police arrested 43 people and took them to Ma'asiyahu prison in Ramle. The remands for four of the detainees were extended almost immediately. Police had 24 hours to press charges against the rest of the rioters.