Amos Gilad, head of the Defense Ministry's Diplomatic-Security Bureau, made a secret visit to Egypt earlier this week for talks with officials about restoring and extending the cease-fire in the Gaza Strip, The Jerusalem Post has learned. Defense officials told the Post Wednesday night that Gilad's visit was a continuation of the Israeli-Egyptian security dialogue that dealt with a wide-range of bilateral issues, including the volatile situation in the Gaza Strip. Gilad, officials said, asked the Egyptians to intervene on Israel's behalf in the Gaza Strip and to pressure Hamas to rein in the terror factions and stop their rocket attacks against Israel. On Wednesday night, a Kassam rocket landed in an open field in the Eshkol Regional Council without causing any injuries. Gilad is the Defense Ministry point man on relations with Egypt and was the architect of the current cease-fire in the Gaza Strip, which is slated to expire on December 19. His visit to Egypt was used to discuss a wide-range of issues as well as explore the possibility of extending the cease-fire and renewing the negotiations for the release of kidnapped soldier Gilad Schalit.