Six-year-old wounded in Ma'ale Adumim fire dies

Brother still in serious condition after the two became trapped in burning apartment.

fire 224 (photo credit: Courtesy)
fire 224
(photo credit: Courtesy)
A six-year-old boy who was seriously injured in a fire in his Ma'ale Adumim home Wednesday overnight died on Thursday at Assaf Harofeh Hospital, after doctors failed to stabilize his condition. The boy and his three-year-old brother were admitted to the hospital in serious condition Thursday after inhaling large amounts of smoke. On Thursday morning, the three-year-old was being treated in a hyperbaric chamber and his condition was described as stable. The fire broke out on the first floor of a building on Ga'ash Street and quickly spread to the second floor, where the children were sleeping. A neighbor told Israel Radio that while waiting for the police to arrive, he and a number of other people tried to go into the burning apartment and rescue the children but they were prevented from doing so by the stifling smoke. The conditions also made it very difficult for police to find the two boys, Ma'ale Adumim Police Chief Shlomo Amar told Israel Radio, adding that the apartment was full of furniture, a further hindrance to rescue forces. The blaze was apparently caused after the two boys started playing with fire, police said.