Jerusalem Post photographer Marc Israel Sellem presents some of his favorite images from the more than a million pictures shot for the newspaper over the past decade.
By MARC ISRAEL SELLEMJerusalem Post photographer Marc Israel Sellem presents some of his favorite images from the more than a million (1,100,385 pictures) he has shot for the newspaper over the past decade. He chose the photos to represent both his personal favorites and those that capture the spirit of the decade just ending.1. Hearty hug: A rabbi and Palestinian greet each other, as they meet at the Gush Etzion junction to hold prayers together in the summer of 2014.
2. Shalom, Shimon: Late president Shimon Peres waves goodbye at the Shimon Peres Center in Jaffa in 2014.
3. Pallywood propaganda: Two shots of a woman at a protest for Palestinian prisoners in Ramallah in 2011. The first, smiling image is before she is aware of the camera; the tearful one, when she realizes her photo is being taken.
4. Sensational sea: Photo taken in 2011 when the Dead Sea was a candidate for one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.Advertisement
5. The next generation: A “hilltop” family in Yitzhar plays with their young son, 2018.
6. Kotel connectivity: The smartphone era comes to the Western Wall, 2011.
7. Good Neighbor greeting: Syrian children cross the border into Israel for medical treatment, 2018.
8. Fleeing the flames: An Israeli border policeman rescues a Palestinian child from a burning house in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Isawiya, during Nakba Day riots in 2011.
9. Mustache maneuver: One image steals all the attention during a 2014 meeting in Jerusalem between German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
10. Spiritual Superman: An ultra-Orthodox IDF soldier proudly steps out in Jerusalem’s Old City at the height of the debate on conscription of haredim in 2014.