print
gohome
Print Edition
Jordan israeli embassy car bomb amman.(Photo by: AP)
Jordan arrests dozens over convoy attack
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
01/31/2010
Majority of those arrested by police are Salafists, Jordanian official says.

A Jordanian security official on Sunday said authorities arrested dozens of fundamentalist Muslims in connection with a failed bomb attack on a convoy of Israeli diplomats earlier in January.

Dozens have been detained in a police crackdown mostly on Salafists, extremists who seek to revive strict Muslim doctrine dating back to the era of the 6th Century Prophet Muhammad, the official added.

He said the crackdown was continuing across Jordan.

The Jordanian official declined to provide other details and insisted on anonymity because he was not allowed to speak to the media.

No one was killed or injured in the January 14 attack on an Israeli Embassy convoy heading home for the weekend. It was the first roadside bombing in Jordan and exposed a security gap for Israeli diplomats.

Sources close to Jordan's General Intelligence Department (GID) revealed that the failed attempt on the lives of Israeli diplomats in Jordan was apparently carried out on instructions from Teheran, and that the GID was investigating the possibility that the explosives used in the attack had been smuggled into the kingdom by Iranian diplomats.

The attack itself was apparently carried out by local al-Qaida supporters who received money and explosives from Iran, the sources said.

Amir Mizroch and Yaakov Katz contributed to this report


print gohome
JPost.com: Arab-Israeli Conflict | Israel News | Diaspora | Middle East | Opinion | Premium | Blogs | Not Just News | Edition Francaise | Green Israel

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy