Print Edition
Hamas armed wing spokesman speaks during a news conference in Gaza City July 3, 2014..(Photo by: REUTERS)
IDF kills Gaza terrorist said to be responsible for rocket fire at Tel Aviv
Since Friday morning, the IDF has killed eight Hamas terrorists and others involved in rocket fire.

The Israeli military announced late Friday that it had killed a Palestinian in Gaza who is believed to be behind the recent barrage of rockets launched at the Tel Aviv metropolitan area.

Earlier on Friday, the IDF killed another terrorist in Gaza who was said to have been responsible for rocket fire on Israel. Since the morning, the IDF has killed eight Hamas terrorists and others involved in rocket fire, including two who belong to long-range rocket fire squads who were spotted en route to carrying out additional launches.

Over the past 24 horus, the IDF carried out 30 air strikes in Gaza, striking over 40 underground rocket launchers and ten rocket production sites. Since the start of the oerpation, the IDF destroyed over 120 attack tunnels.

Earlier on Friday, Hamas's armed wing has warned airlines that it intends to target Israel's Ben-Gurion Airport with its rockets from Gaza and has told them not to fly there, a statement by the group said on Friday.

"In the light of Israel's ... attacks on the residents of Gaza Strip ... The armed wing of Hamas movement has decided to respond to the Israeli aggression and we warn you against carrying out flights to Ben-Gurion airport, which will be one of our targets today because it also hosts a military air base," the statement said.

The terror group claimed earlier that it had already fired at least one rocket towards the airport on Friday but militant rockets, which are largely inaccurate, are not known to have landed in or around the airport, Israel's main international aerial gateway.

Several rockets from the Gaza Strip were fired toward the greater Tel Aviv area on Friday morning. The Iron Dome defense system intercepted three projectiles. No injuries were reported.

Incoming air traffic was halted from entering Israeli air space as sirens were sounded in the area, an airport spokesperson told The Jerusalem Post. Flight traffic was resumed as normal after the sirens subsided.

A spokesman for the Airports Authority said that a siren had sounded at Ben-Gurion and that all activity had stopped for about ten minutes, but that the siren was part of a general alert in the Tel Aviv area and not a direct threat to the airport.

Terrorists in Gaza have fired hundreds of rockets into Israel reaching deeper into the country than ever before as Israel continued into the fourth day of Operation Protective Shield.

The terror group said it had issued the warning to the airlines so that they could avoid injury to their passengers. Staff contributed to this report.

print gohome Arab-Israeli Conflict | Israel News | Diaspora | Middle East | Opinion | Premium | Blogs | Not Just News | Edition Francaise | Green Israel

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy