Arab youth arrested after assaulting haredi man in Old City

3 Arab men arrested for attempting to assault Jewish visitors on Temple Mount * Jewish man detained at holy site for openly praying.

March 22, 2015 18:35
1 minute read.
Jerusalem's Old City

A Jewish woman and her child walk through Jerusalem's Old City. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A haredi man in his 20s was hospitalized in light condition Sunday morning after being assaulted near the Jewish Quarter of the Old City by an Arab teenager who had just left the Temple Mount after praying, police said.

According to police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld, the suspect, a 17-year-old Israeli Arab, brutally beat the Jewish man while walking on a main walkway at approximately 10 a.m. and then fled by foot.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The unidentified victim, he said, was found lying on the ground by police and Magen David Adom paramedics, who provided first aid before transferring him to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.

As police searched for the suspect, Rosenfeld said, live surveillance footage from a nearby command center was able to track the movements of the assailant, leading to his arrest minutes later.

Earlier Sunday morning, he said, three Arab men were arrested on the Temple Mount after heckling and attempting to attack a group of Jewish visitors.

At around 7:30 a.m. 30 to 40 Arabs approached the Jewish group, which was being escorted by police, shouting “Allah Akbar,” Rosenfeld said.

“Police intervened immediately, and while they continued to escort the group, three local Israeli Arabs in their 20s attempted to attack the Jewish visitors, resulting in their arrests,” he said.

“At the same time, there was one Jewish man who was removed after not abiding by the rules of the Temple Mount by openly praying.”

Rosenfeld said the Jewish man was released from custody shortly after his detention, adding that police will continue to enforce the status quo on the Temple Mount.

No one was injured in the attack, he said.

Related Content

August 14, 2018
Bayit Yehudi plans to oppose an Israel-Hamas ceasefire arrangement