The IDF spokesperson confirmed in a statement early Thursday morning that Israel attacked three military posts in Syria late Wednesday night.
The attack was carried out in response to the crossing of a Syrian drone that the IDF intercepted earlier on Wednesday, the IDF spokesperson explained.
"The IDF will continue to act decisively and resolutely against attempts to violate the sovereignty of the State of Israel and act against any attempt to harm its citizens," the statement read, "The Syrian regime is responsible for what is happening in its territory and is warned against acting against our forces."
"The IDF is highly prepared for a variety of scenarios and will continue to act as necessary for the safety of the citizens of the State of Israel," the statement added.
The attack near Hader village at the border of the Israeli Golan Heights caused only material damage, state news agency SANA cited a military source as saying.
Israel has been on high alert as Syrian government forces advance on rebels in the vicinity of the Golan,worrying Assad could let his Iranian allies entrench near its lines.
With the help of heavy Russian air power, the Syrian army has seized swathes of Deraa province from insurgents in the south in the past three weeks. The offensive is expected to turn next to rebel parts of Quneitra closer to the Golan.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Russia on Wednesday that Israel would not seek to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad but that Moscow should encourage Iranian forces to quit Syria, a senior Israeli official said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>