Israel warns UN: Hezbollah has 120,000 missiles aimed at us

Danon reveals new intelligence about Hezbollah to UN Security Council.

By
July 12, 2016 19:36
3 minute read.
Danny Danon

Ambassador Danny Danon addressing the Security Council . (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

NEW YORK – Hezbollah now possesses 17 times the number of missiles it did 10 years ago when UN Security Council Resolution 1701 was adopted at the end of the Second Lebanon War, Israeli Ambassador to the UN Danny Danon told the Council Tuesday.

Hezbollah now has “more missiles below ground in Lebanon than the European NATO allies have above ground,” Danon said as he presented recent IDF intelligence about the terrorist organization to the Security Council, including aerial photographs revealing Hezbollah positions and statistics about the organization’s weapons stockpiles.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Hezbollah now possesses about 120,000 missiles, compared to 7,000 10 years ago, Danon said.
Aerial photograph presented by Danon to UNSC (Credit: IDF)


The Israeli mission to the UN told The Jerusalem Post the intelligence was classified and cleared by the IDF especially for use by Danon during the meeting.

Tuesday’s meeting – which discussed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the conditions in Lebanon a decade after Resolution 1701 – called for “the disarmament of all armed groups in Lebanon, so that there will be no weapons or authority in Lebanon other than that of the Lebanese State.”

As he presented the new intelligence to the Council’s members, Danon said: “When the war ended, this Council pledged that Hezbollah would no longer be allowed to threaten Israel and hold the people of Lebanon hostage.

“I have the unfortunate task of informing this Council that 10 years later, the situation has gone from bad to worse. The government of Lebanon never stopped Hezbollah, and Hezbollah never stopped its military buildup,” he said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Danon’s aerial photograph, which was distributed to the Council members, showed the village of Shaqra in southern Lebanon, where a Hezbollah rocket launcher, an infantry position and ammunition depots hidden between homes and close to schools and a mosque could be seen.

“This is exactly what we mean when we say that Hezbollah is committing a double war crime,” Danon told the forum.

“Not only are they attacking Israeli civilians, but they are using Lebanese civilians as human shields to defend their terror activity.”

“Let me be clear. Should Iran’s proxy, Hezbollah, make the miscalculation that it did in 2006, Israel will be ready to defend its citizens in the most vigorous and forceful way possible,” he stated. “We demand the removal of Hezbollah terrorists from southern Lebanon.”

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, who concluded his 11th visit to the region last month, joined the Security Council meeting and urged Israelis and Palestinians to “immediately begin discussions with the Quartet” and implement the recommendations in the group’s recent report, which highlighted threats to a twostate solution including violence, terrorism and incitement, as well as Israel’s policy of settlement expansion.

He also pointed a finger at Israel for the closure of Hebron following the attack on a Jewish family in the area earlier this month, which he described as “collective punishment,” and denounced Israel’s plans to advance building in the West Bank and east Jerusalem as a “flagrant disregard of international law.”

Following Tuesday’s meeting, Palestinian Ambassador to the UN Riyad Mansour accused Danon of focusing on the Lebanese threat to “divert attention from the main aspect of the conflict, which is the denial of the national rights of the Palestinian people and the perpetuation and continuation of the occupation.”

“He doesn’t want to face this global consensus that says that these are the core issues and Israel has to abide by them,” Mansour said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Hagai El-Ad, Executive Director of B'Tselem, a leading Israeli human rights organisation
October 21, 2018
Likud MK calls on attorney general to dismantle B'Tselem

By TOVAH LAZAROFF