Netanyahu under pressure to authorize new Hebron construction

Naftali Bennett: “I see no justification not to approve the plan at this time.”

By
September 29, 2017 04:03
1 minute read.
A YOUNG Jewish settler in Hebron looks out of a window in a disputed building.

A YOUNG Jewish settler in Hebron looks out of a window in a disputed building.. (photo credit: AMIR COHEN - REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Right-wing politicians are pressuring Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to authorize the construction of 31 housing units in Hebron, saying government action to “strengthen Hebron’s Jewish community” must be carried out.

“I see no justification not to approve the plan at this time,” said Education Minister and Bayit Yehudi party head Naftali Bennett.

The plan also calls for a new kindergarten and a social welfare office to built at the site located next to the Hebron Yeshiva in an area of the city under Israeli military control. It would replace the caravans currently located at the site, called Plugat Hamitkanim, which is used by the IDF and six Hebron families.

The property was owned by the original Jewish community in Hebron that was destroyed by the Arab 1929 massacre of 67 Jews in the city. Settler leaders raised the issue with Netanyahu when they met with him Wednesday but failed to receive a commitment. They asked him to include the list of projects to be advanced or approved at the next meeting of the Higher Planning Council of Judea and Samaria.

The Planning Council is expected to meet in October, but so far no date has been set and no schedule has been published.


Deputy Minister Michael Oren, the only politician who backs a Palestinian state featured in the ad, rejected claims that he was being used by a campaign aimed at Netanyahu and Trump.

“This is a question of 4,000 years of Jewish history. In any future Israeli-Palestinian agreement, the Jewish community of Hebron would have its rights guaranteed. In the meantime, we have to make sure that community can continue to flourish,” Oren said.

A group of 10 right-wing MKs also signed a letter to Netanyahu asking him to build in Hebron.

Bennett said approval of new building was an important to counter the election of Hamas Mayor Tayseer Abu Sneineh, who was involved in a 1980 terrorist attack in the city and a vote by UNESCO to inscribe the Tomb of the Patriarchs and Hebron’s Old Town, to the “State of Palestine.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Orthodox Jews on the Temple Mount
June 27, 2019
UN debates status of Jerusalem - watch live

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings