Palestinian ex-hunger striker rearrested for alleged incitement

Security forces arrested Muhammad al-Qiq after he was released in May following a long hunger strike he was on during his arrest for incitement.

By
January 16, 2017 22:48
1 minute read.
Hebron protest

A Hebron man demonstrates in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners on a hunger strike in protest at being held in administrative detention. (photo credit: MUSSA QAWASMA / REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The IDF arrested Muhammad al-Qiq, who was released from administrative detention in May after carrying out a 94-day hunger strike, on Sunday for allegedly inciting to violence and partaking in Hamas-related activities.

“Muhammad al-Qiq was arrested last night by the IDF and Shin Bet [Israel Security Agency] on the basis of suspicions of involvement in incitement to terrorism against Israel and renewed activity with Hamas,” a Shin Bet spokesman told The Jerusalem Post, clarifying that Qiq’s arrest was a part of a major effort to undermine Hamas’s military infrastructure in the Ramallah area.

Israeli security forces arrested a total of 13 Palestinians suspected of involvement in violent activity in the Ramallah area on Sunday night.

The IDF detained Qiq at the Beit El checkpoint early Sunday afternoon, on his way to a protest in Bethlehem against Israel’s practice of withholding dead assailants’ bodies, but released him an hour later, a source close to Qiq said.

Qiq, who was traveling with four others, then proceeded to Bethlehem and participated in the protest.

On the way back to Ramallah, Qiq was arrested at the Beit El checkpoint, where he had been detained earlier in the day.


Fayhaa Shalash, Qiq’s wife, told the Palestinian press that Qiq decided to begin a hunger strike to protest his arrest.

The IDF was unable to confirm if Qiq is refusing nourishment.

On Monday, a group of Palestinians demonstrated against Qiq’s arrest in Ramallah’s Manara Square, calling for his immediate release.

“We have come back to the squares of the main cities to affirm to the occupation that is not right to arrest a [freed] prisoner who underwent a 94-day hunger strike,” Shalash said in a short speech at the protest, according to Al-Quds News Network.

Qiq, 34, is a journalist from the Hebron region and has taken part in many protests in support of Palestinian prisoners since his release in May.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Tear gas canisters are fired by Israeli troops toward Palestinians during a protest
February 24, 2019
12-year-old Palestinian killed as thousands riot along the Gaza border

By ANNA AHRONHEIM