Police raid east Jerusalem Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance office

Silwan raid takes place days after PRC paramedics drive past dying Jewish father and son gunned down by terrorists in West Bank.

November 18, 2015 19:24
1 minute read.
A Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance

A Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance . (photo credit: ABBAS MOMANI / AFP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Less than a week after Palestinian Red Crescent paramedics allegedly refused to treat Rabbi Ya’akov Litman and his teenage son Netanel after they were mortally wounded in the West Bank, police on Tuesday night raided the east Jerusalem office of the emergency medical service.

Last Friday afternoon, Palestinian terrorists opened fire on a van carrying Litman, his wife, three daughters aged 5, 9, and 11, and two sons, aged 16 and 18. The family was on its way to a pre-wedding Shabbat celebration for a fourth daughter outside Otniel, south of Hebron.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Litman, 40, and Netanel, 18, died at the side of the road waiting for Magen David Adom paramedics to arrive, when the Palestinian ambulance passed by without stopping to aid the dying father and son, his wife, Noa, said. Noa and her four other children were lightly wounded by shrapnel and the resulting crash, but were not shot.

The PRC denied the claim in a message on its website.

While police spokeswoman Luba Samri acknowledged that the raid took place at the Silwan office, she did not provide further details.

It remains unclear whether any arrests were made and, if so, what the suspects are being charged for.

One day after the attack, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu demanded that the International Committee of the Red Cross, which is affiliated with PRC, explain why the Palestinian medics refused to help the family.

In a statement, a PRC official claimed that the paramedics intended to treat the Litmans, but that an IDF ambulance that arrived at the scene held them at gunpoint. The IDF patently denies this account.

According to an unidentified MDA eyewitness, the PRC personnel did not exit their vehicle and drove past the dying men without stopping.

Meanwhile, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas refused to condemn the double homicide when asked about the incident during a Ramallah press conference hours after the attack.

Instead, Abbas deflected the question by blaming Israel for “obstinateness” and “a lack of a diplomatic horizon.”

“Our people are living under difficult conditions which have become intolerable,” he said. “The continued Israeli occupation of our country and the escalating violence by settlers who are harming our property is filling us with despair.”

Related Content

INPA and Gilad Gabai, July 17, 2018.
July 18, 2018
PETA condemns use of 'terror falcon' after bird found dead in Israeli park