Appeals court returns terror case to US judge

By AP
March 31, 2010 19:28
2 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island — A federal appeals court said a judge must hear arguments on whether the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Palestinian Authority can be forced to pay more than $116 million for a Hamas terrorist attack that killed a US citizen and his wife.

The 1st US Circuit Court of Appeals said US District Judge Ronald Lagueux in Rhode Island should have taken more factors into account before deciding last May to uphold the default judgment against the PLO and the Palestinian Authority. The court sent the case back to Lagueux for more arguments.The ruling stems from the 1996 drive-by shooting deaths of Yaron Ungar and his Israeli wife, Efrat, near the West Bank. The case was filed in the federal court in Providence, where the lawyer for the Ungar estate is based, and accused the defendants of giving Hamas aid and support.

The late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat had refused to recognize the US court's jurisdiction. Lagueux entered the $116 million judgment in 2004. But by 2007, new Palestinian leadership had changed legal strategy and began urging Lagueux to set aside the judgment, citing the political ramifications of the penalty and potential hindrance on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

But Lagueux refused last May to overturn the judgment, blaming the loss on the Palestinian leadership's "intentional, deliberate and binding decisions" not to participate in the legal process.

The Boston-based appeals court in ruling last week that the case should be returned to the judge for more arguments, said Lagueux should have weighed the "totality of the circumstances" in deciding whether the judgment should be vacated
.
"Whether or not the defendants' arguments ultimately carry the day, they are substantial," Senior Circuit Judge Bruce Selya wrote in the court's decision.



Richard Hibey, a lawyer for the defendants, declined to comment Monday.
The lawsuit seeks compensation for a fatal attack on June 9, 1996, near the Israeli town of Beit Shemesh.

Ungar and his wife were driving home when another vehicle driven by three Hamas gunmen pulled alongside them and opened fire. The couple was killed, but their 9-month-old son survived; another son wasn't in the car.

The Ungars left behind two sons.

"The Ungar orphans and their family are disappointed but continue on with their decade-long struggle for justice against their parents' murder," said David Strachman, a lawyer for the Ungar family.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
June 26, 2019
Magnitude 6.3 earthquake strikes between Panama and Costa Rica

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings