Ayalon denies saying flotilla raid was mistake

By GIL STERN STERN HOFFMAN
June 8, 2010 15:58

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon vigorously denied a report in the German newspaper Der Spiegel on Tuesday in which he was quoted as saying that the IDF's raid on the Gaza flotilla last week was a mistake.

The report said that Ayalon was beginning to realize that Israel had walked into a trap
set by the organizers of the flotilla. It suggested that German Prime Minister Angela
Merkel's criticism had made him reconsider the raid.

"It played into Hamas's hands," he said in an interview at Tel Aviv's Dan Hotel, according
to the report. "Perhaps it was a mistake to storm the ships."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Mexico and U.S. plan to join forces against drug cartels

By REUTERS