Bomb attack kills two soldiers in southeast Turkey

By REUTERS
June 29, 2016 16:38
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - A roadside bomb planted by Kurdish militants ripped apart a military armored vehicle in southeast Turkey on Wednesday, killing two soldiers and wounding three others, security sources said.

Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants detonated the explosives by remote control near a village in the Derik district of Mardin province at 3:10 pm (1210 GMT), the sources said, adding an operation was launched in the area to capture those responsible.

Turkey is facing multiple security threats. As well as the insurgency in the mainly Kurdish southeast, it is also fighting Islamic State in Syria as a member of the U.S.-led coalition.

Suspected Islamic State suicide bombers killed 41 people and injured 239 in an attack on Istanbul's main airport on Wednesday.

Conflict between the PKK and the Turkish military flared up last July after the collapse of a ceasefire. Thousands of militants, security force members and civilians have been killed in fighting across the mainly Kurdish southeast since then.



Earlier on Wednesday, the Turkish military said two soldiers were killed and another three wounded on Tuesday evening in two attacks by PKK fighters in the southeast's Diyarbakir province.

The militants launched one attack in the Lice area of Diyarbakir, wounding four soldiers, one of whom later died in hospital, the armed forces statement said.

It said another soldier was shot dead by PKK militants in Diyarbakir's Bismil district after he got out of a vehicle in front of his house.

More than 40,000 people have been killed in the conflict since the PKK, designated a terrorist group by Turkey and its Western allies, began its insurgency in 1984. Violence has surged since the collapse of a ceasefire last July.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
December 13, 2018
Report: Hamas claims Barkan terrorist as theirs

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF