Ferry from Libya with Americans aboard reaches Malta

February 25, 2011 23:29


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


VALLETTA, Malta— After three days of delays, a US-chartered ferry evacuated Americans and other foreigners out of Libya on Friday and brought them to the Mediterranean island of Malta.

The Maria Dolores ferry brought over 300 passengers, including at least 167 US citizens, away from the turmoil that has engulfed the North African nation.

Several minutes after the ship docked in Malta's Valletta harbor, a few people on wheelchairs were escorted out and appeared to be the first to disembark. Moments later, women holding babies walked down a ramp, while others held the hands of children as they stepped off the ship after the roughly 8-hour voyage across the Mediterranean Sea.

The passengers have been aboard the catamaran since Wednesday in their quest to escape Libya's escalating unrest, but strong winds and high seas prevented the ferry from leaving the Libyan capital of Tripoli.

Related Content

Breaking news
June 24, 2018
Egypt to extend state of emergency for three months