Floods, drought hit south central China

By REUTERS
August 5, 2011 12:58

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIJING - Flood waters from a river in China's southwestern province of Sichuan forced thousands to evacuate on Friday, while residents in nearby Hunan province face severe shortages of water for drinking and crops, Chinese state media said.

At least 2,381 homes collapsed after heavy rain caused the Zhouhe river near Dazhou city in Sichuan to overflow, forcing more than 13,000 people to evacuate, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

Xinhua said injuries were limited but that roads and power had been cut off in the region, which frequently suffers from floods.

In a separate article, the news agency said 400,000 rural residents in the city of Huaihua in central Hunan province about 500 kilometers away from Dazhou were suffering from a lingering drought.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 24, 2018
Ecuador no longer to intervene with UK for WikiLeaks Assange

By REUTERS