Four Britons fighting in Syria placed on UN sanctions list

By REUTERS
September 29, 2015 10:21
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

LONDON - The United Nations has imposed sanctions on four British citizens who are fighting with Islamic State militants in Syria, following a request from the British government.

The UN's updated sanctions list named the two men and two women as Omar Hussain, Nasser Muthana, Aqsa Mahmood and Sally Anne Jones, who will now face a travel ban and a freeze on their assets for their role in fighting and recruiting others to join Islamic State via social media.

The move marks the first time in 10 years that Britain has submitted names to the UN's sanctions list and is designed to deter Britons from traveling to Syria or Iraq to join militant groups.

"The prime minister has been absolutely clear that we will do all we can to stop British citizens from going to fight for ISIL and that foreign fighters should face consequences for their actions," a Downing Street spokesman said.

"It sends a clear deterrent message to those thinking of going to fight for ISIL. We will continue to consider whether more individuals should be subjected to these sanctions."

Britain estimates that more than 700 Britons have traveled to Syria, with a significant proportion thought to have joined Islamic State, which has taken over vast areas of the country and neighboring Iraq.

The government spokesman said those who had been added to the list were actively seeking to recruit others to Islamic State and using social media to promote activity online, including providing guidance on how to make homemade bombs.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 15, 2018
Key Israeli docs confirm extent of Iranian nuke plan revealed by Netanyahu

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF