Investigation opened into Demjanjuk Nazi trial witness

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
June 17, 2010 17:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MUNICH  — Munich prosecutors said Thursday they have opened an investigation into a former US Secret Service forensics expert who testified at the John Demjanjuk trial following a motion from the defense accusing the witness of perjury.

Trial prosecutor Hans-Joachim Lutz told The Associated Press that his office was obliged to open the investigation against former agent Larry Stewart, who testified in Munich last week, after defense attorney Ulrich Busch filed a complaint with the court accusing him of perjury.

Busch argued Stewart's Munich testimony contradicted statements he had made in US District Court in Ohio in 2001 — the year after he examined documents being used as evidence against Demjanjuk.

Lutz refused to comment on the possibility of charges being filed, saying the evidence first had to be examined.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
BREAKING: Drive-by Shooting in Tel Aviv

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF