Italy PM: early vote possible if majority too thin

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
December 23, 2010 16:57

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ROME — Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi conceded Thursday that early elections may be necessary if his slim majority in parliament is unworkable and that he would decide in January.

At an end-of-the-year press conference, Berlusconi also said that if his term finishes on schedule in 2013 he'd rather sit it out and let other conservative leaders run.

The 74-year-old Berlusconi said the job was too great a sacrifice and that he was convinced there were new conservative leaders who were "absolutely capable of becoming premier."

Berlusconi, who squeaked through a no-confidence vote last week after two years of personal scandal and political infighting, added that he would bar all of his five children from entering politics.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 24, 2018
Trump says expects announcement of new summit with N. Korea's Kim 'pretty soon'

By REUTERS