Lebanon seizes half a ton of radioactive sanitary towels

By REUTERS
March 20, 2015 17:09

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

More than 550 kilograms of sanitary towels containing a radioactive substance were confiscated at Beirut international airport, officials said on Friday.

The Ministry of Finance said in statement that 30 cartons of confiscated pads will be sent to the Lebanese Atomic Energy Agency for checks before being returned to the exporter.

It declined to name the company that made the pads or the name of the substance, which was discovered by customs officers during regular checks on freight arriving at the airport. Officials did not say what level of radioactivity had been detected.

Customs officials, speaking on condition of anonymity as they were not allowed to talk to the media, said that the sanitary towels were Chinese-made and delivered to Lebanon through Dubai.

There has been a public outcry in recent months over contaminated goods in Lebanon. A Ministry of Health inspection last year into food hygiene found that hundreds of restaurants, supermarkets and slaughterhouses had unsatisfactory hygiene conditions.

The uproar led to several restaurant closures and calls for stricter standards on imports and business practices.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Greece exits final bailout successfully

By REUTERS