Libyan threat brings no-fly zone closer-UK's Hague

By REUTERS
March 10, 2011 20:29

LONDON - Full-scale military action by the Libyan authorities against their people would "massively strengthen" the case for a no-fly zone, British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Thursday. "Clearly if there were to be large-scale bombing attacks that the world could see and understand, and that could be verified, on civilians, on populated areas in Libya, then that would massively strengthen the case for the introduction of a no-fly zone," Hague told BBC television in an interview.

Hague was reacting to remarks by Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam, who said earlier that full-scale military action was being prepared to crush the rebellion there.

Hague said a no-fly zone could now be established "very, very quickly" because Britain and France had done the work at the United Nations Security Council to prepare a resolution, and NATO was doing the planning on practical steps to be taken.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 26, 2018
Liberman to meet with senior US officials in Washington on Thursday

By ANNA AHRONHEIM

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 18
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 27
    Elat
    16 - 27
    Tiberias