NATO chief: There's no intention to deploy troops in Libya

By REUTERS
May 19, 2011 15:44

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BRATISLAVA - NATO will stick to its strategy in Libya and has no intention to put troops on the ground, Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday.

"In the UN resolution, it is explicitly excluded to put boots on the ground, and we have no intention to do that and we have no intention to ask the UN to mandate the use of troops on the ground," Rasmussen told a news conference in Slovakia.

He said he had no information on reports that Muammar Gaddafi's wife, daughter and top oil chief had fled. A Libyan government spokesman earlier on Thursday denied reports that the three had left the country.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2018
Netanyahu visits Sderot after tense weekend of rocket fire

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF