4 Arab teens arrested for attempting to set fire to Jerusalem gas station

September 14, 2014 21:56
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


One week after a mob of masked Palestinians looted a French Hill gas station and attempted to set off an explosion using firebombs, police on Sunday arrested four Arab teens from neighboring Isawiya, in east Jerusalem.

According to police, the unidentified four youths, between the ages 15 and 17, were among dozens of young Isawiya residents who rioted August 7, following the death of Muhammad Abd al-Majid Sunuqrut, 16.

An autopsy report carried out by a Palestinian coroner and released Sunday concluded that Sunuqrut died one week after being struck in the head by a police sponge bullet during an August 31 riot in Wadi Joz.

In an apparent cover-up, police alleged the teen was shot in the leg and subsequently struck his head on the pavement upon attempting to flee the scene.  

When Sunuqrut’s death was announced amid speculation of police brutality, the mob gathered at approximately 9 p.m. and threw rocks at the station’s Arab workers, stole the cash register and repeatedly attempted to ignite several gas pumps.

No arrests were made at the time and no injuries reported.

All four suspects were arraigned at Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court, where a judge ordered them to remain in custody. A Police spokesman said Sunday night that more arrests are expected soon.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 22, 2018
China opens embassy in Dominican Republic after break with Taiwan