Seven killed in attack on mosque in Yemen

August 19, 2012 18:58


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ADEN - A gunman opened fire on a mosque during Id prayers in southern Yemen on Sunday, killing seven people and wounding 11, a security official at the Yemeni Defense Ministry said.

In a separate attack on Sunday, a suicide bomber with suspected links to al-Qaeda blew himself up in the southern Abyan province, killing three and wounding two, an official from the province told Reuters.

The shooting at the mosque in the southern province of Dalea came during the prayers that mark the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. Security forces followed the gunman home and surrounded the building, the official said.

He added that the man appeared not to be related to Islamist militants who have been staging attacks for the past months.

No further details were immediately available.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Facebook says it was “too slow” to fight hate speech in Myanmar