Source: Poland, Czechs balk on blacklisting Hezbollah

By JTA
June 14, 2013 01:33

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Poland and the Czech Republic expressed “reservations” about blacklisting Hezbollah at a discussion in Brussels earlier this month, JTA has learned.

Both Poland and the Czech Republic are considered more supportive of Israel than Western European nations like France and Germany, both of which supported blacklisting Hezbollah, the source said.The positions were expressed at a June 4 meeting to discuss Europe’s response to claims that Hezbollah was behind a July bus bombing in Burgas, Bulgaria. The source also reported that a Bulgarian representative said the link between Hezbollah and the attack was “weak,” an apparent retreat from Bulgaria’s announcement in February that the Lebanese group was behind the Burgas attack, which killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian national.



Convened at the request of the United Kingdom, the meeting was intended to initiate a European Union effort to blacklist Hezbollah’s military wing. Efforts to name Hezbollah a terrorist group intensified after Bulgaria’s announced in February that it believed two Hezbollah operatives were responsible for the attack.

Bulgaria’s foreign minister, Kristian Vigenin, said Monday that Sofia stands by its February announcement.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
March 22, 2019
Lebanon's Berri tells Pompeo Hezbollah sanctions hurt Lebanon

By REUTERS