BERLIN — An alleged former Nazi death camp guard has been charged with participating in the murder of 430,000 Jews and other crimes during the Third Reich, said German prosecutors on Wednesday.
Prosecutor Christoph Goeke in Dortmund says 90-year-old Samuel Kunz was informed last week that he has been indicted on charges including participation in the murder of 430,000 Jews at the Belzec death camp, where he served as a guard from January 1942 to July 1943.
Goeke said that Kunz is also charged with murder over "personal excesses" in which he allegedly shot a total of 10 Jews in two other incidents.
Kunz is No. 3 on the Simon Wiesenthal Center's list of most-wanted Nazis. He lives near the western city of Bonn.