UN says Congo army, rebels have committed rights abuses

By REUTERS
December 7, 2012 21:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

UNITED NATIONS - Democratic Republic of Congo troops raped and pillaged in Minova after fleeing to the eastern town as M23 rebels advanced, while insurgents killed civilians and looted when they took the nearby provincial capital Goma last month, the UN said on Friday.

Congolese troops, aided by a UN peacekeeping mission known as MONUSCO, have been battling the M23 rebels - who UN experts and Congo say are backed by neighboring Rwanda - for the past eight months in the resource-rich east of the country.

Kinshasa regained control of Goma on Monday after M23 rebels withdrew as a UN Security Council group of experts presented new evidence alleging the M23 had received "direct support" from the Rwandan Defence Force (RDF) to capture the city on November 20.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Pompeo: 'time for peace' as Afghanistan announces ceasefire with Taliban

By REUTERS