US downplays Karzai call for village pullout

By REUTERS
March 15, 2012 18:11

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ABU DHABI - The United States does not believe that Afghan President Hamid Karzai is seeking for NATO forces to pull out of Afghan villages immediately, despite his statement on Thursday, a US defense official told reporters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We believe that this statement reflects President Karzai's strong interest in moving as quickly as possible to a fully independent and sovereign Afghanistan," said Pentagon spokesman George Little, who was also briefing reporters traveling with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta in Abu Dhabi. Panetta met with Karzai earlier on Thursday in Kabul.

"We believe that we need to continue to work together because that's an American goal as well. And we believe that it needs to be done in a way that responsibly affects that outcome."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
UNRWA says schools for Palestinians to open despite U.S. funding cut

By REUTERS