US official: No US plane forced down by N.Korea jamming

By REUTERS
September 11, 2011 03:36

WASHINGTON - A US defense official denied on Saturday that a military reconnaissance plane was forced to make an emergency landing in March because of North Korean GPS jamming, as reported by a South Korean newspaper.

"We have no indication that any aircraft at the time of, or in the vicinity of, this alleged incident was forced to land on an emergency basis," the defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The Chosun Ilbo newspaper, quoting a South Korean Defence Ministry report, said on Friday the US aircraft had been involved in military exercises.

It said the North Korean jamming signals also disrupted the global positioning system (GPS) devices of coastal patrol boats and speed boats of the South Korean Navy. Several civilian aircraft were affected.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Saudi-led coalition says foils attempted attack by drone near Abha airport

By REUTERS