Ya'alon: No Turkey apology, but J'lem may debate doing so

By REUTERS
July 21, 2011 17:22

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel is not ready to apologize to Turkey for the deaths of nine Turkish nationals aboard the Mavi Marmara last year, Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe Ya’alon said Thursday for the second day in a row ahead of an expected United Nations report on the 2010 Gaza flotilla incident. Ya'alon, however, added that such a decision may be debated in Jerusalem and that the doubt he has expressed in recent days was his own.

"We are not ready to apologize, as apology, actually, is taking responsibility. You know, our soldiers on the Mavi Marmara were fighting to defend their lives," Ya'alon told foreign journalists.

Asked whether Israel might change tack, Ya'alon allowed that apologizing to Turkey "might be a debate" in the government and said his demurral was his personal opinion.

"We still have six days" to decide, he said, referring to the announcement that the inquiry set up by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and chaired by former New Zealand Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer would publish its findings on July 27.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 13, 2018
Turkey kills 19 Kurdish militants in air strikes in Iraq

By REUTERS