Yemeni army kills 33 militants in south

By REUTERS
May 24, 2012 19:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ADEN - Yemeni troops fought Islamist militants in southern cities on Thursday, as the government pressed ahead with a US-backed offensive to help stabilize the impoverished Arab state that has turned into a base for al-Qaida.

Western and Gulf Arab countries have watched with mounting alarm as political crisis in Yemen gave al-Qaida the opportunity to develop a base from which to launch attacks around the world.

Insurgents in the south exploited mass protests last year against former President Ali Abdullah Saleh to seize large swathes of territory.

Army officials and residents said at least 33 militants were killed in heavy fighting on Thursday with the Yemeni army on the western outskirts of the city of Jaar, in southern Abyan province. Among the dead were a Somali and an Egyptian fighting with the insurgents, they said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2018
More than 100 report sexual misconduct by late Ohio State doctor

By REUTERS