Surgeon removes pen cap from boy’s lungs

The 12-year-old boy had been sucking on the pen cap when he inhaled it into his lungs.

By
February 19, 2017 18:36
Doctor and patient

Doctor and patient (illustrative).. (photo credit: INGIMAGE)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

Doctors at Schneider Children’s Medical Center in Petah Tikva last week removed a pen cap from the lungs of 12-year-old boy from the center of the country who inhaled the cap he was sucking on.

The boy, who had difficulty breathing, was treated in the emergency room by Dr.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Meir Mei-Zahav, a lung expert who, through an X ray, identified the little blue plastic cap as having entered the bronchi of the youth’s right lung. Dr. David Olnovsky, an ear, nose and throat surgeon at Schneider, removed the cap endoscopically.

Inhalation of foreign bodies is well known in younger children but not older ones, so it’s important to raise the awareness of parents of the risks and not allow them to play with small objects that can get stuck in the trachea, said Mei-Zahav. Should it happen, the child should be taken quickly to a hospital emergency room.

For years, a law has required pen manufacturers to make their caps with holes in them so that, if inhaled, at least some air can reach the lungs.


Related Content

A patient receives treatment in ALEH's new hydrotherapy pool in Jerusalem
June 20, 2018
If water could talk: Jerusalem gets first advanced hydrotherapy pool

By MAAYAN HOFFMAN