Halutz, Olmert firmly defend 2nd Lebanon War

Former IDF chief of staff, PM say 34-day-war contributed to bolstering Israel’s "unprecedented" deterrence in the region.

By
July 12, 2012 19:54
1 minute read.
IDF soldiers marching in Second Lebanon War

IDF soldiers marching in Second Lebanon War 311 (R). (photo credit: Ho New / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Former prime minister Ehud Olmert and ex-IDF chief of staff Dan Halutz gave a passionate defense of the Second Lebanon War on Thursday, claiming that it contributed to bolstering Israel’s deterrence in the region.

Speaking just days after he was acquitted on major corruption charges, Olmert said that the 34-day war changed Israel’s strategic reality.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“It brought about a deterrence that had never previously existed on the Lebanese border,” Olmert said.

Halutz said that if he was in the same position today as he was on July 12, 2006, he would urge the government again to go to war against Hezbollah.

“The decision to go to war was correct, justified and proper,” he said.

Olmert admitted that there were mistakes made during the war, which ended with the establishment of the Winograd Committee to investigate the military and government failures.

He said that one of the war’s significant achievements was the unprecedented international support Israel received, despite extensive attacks on civilian infrastructure.



“This did not happen by coincidence but rather because we knew how to create international legitimacy around us that gave us the support to do these things,” Olmert said.

In a direct assault on Defense Minister Ehud Barak – his former coalition partner – he said that the Second Lebanon War actually began in 2000 following the kidnapping of three IDF soldiers by Hezbollah. Barak was prime minister at the time.

“The war started the day that Israel promised to shake the ground in Lebanon over the kidnapping of three soldiers,” Olmert said, referring to Barak’s ultimate decision not to respond at the time. “The Second Lebanon War started the moment when Israel lost its deterrence.”

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF