Jordan rejects extradition of suspects in 1982 Paris Jewish attack

A total of six people are believed to have participated in the attack on the Chez Jo Goldenberg eatery, which killed six and wounded 22.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 11, 2016 09:01
1 minute read.
chez jo paris

The Jo Goldenberg's restaurant seen in le Marais, Paris, France in 2005. (photo credit: WIKIMEDIA COMMONS/DAVID MONNIAUX)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Amman reportedly rejected an extradition request from France for two suspects wanted for the murder of six people in a deadly attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris in 1982, AFP reported Wednesday, citing a judicial source.

The source said that due to a technicality in the application date of the two countries' extradition treaty, Amman turned down the request.

A total of six people are believed to have participated in the attack on the Chez Jo Goldenberg eatery in the heavily Jewish Marais neighborhood of Paris. 

Six people were killed and 22 were wounded when two gunmen stormed the restaurant in the middle of the day and fired on customers.

The first of the two suspects, who stands accused of masterminding the attack, is Zuhair Mohamad al-Abassi, 62. He was arrested in Jordan last year, before the extradition pact came into effect.

Al-Abassi, 62 and of Palestinian origin, is today “an aging man who works in the construction sector,” a Jordanian source told AFP. The source added that after his arrest, al-Abassi appeared in court without a lawyer and was ordered to surrender his passport before being released on bail.


The second suspect, Nizar Tawfiq Hamada, 54, has also escaped French justice, after the statute of limitations for his alleged role in the attack now expired, AFP reported.

Earlier, an unidentified Jordanian source “close to the case” had told the French news agency AFP that his country rarely extradites its citizens, choosing instead to try them in “specialized Jordanian courts.”

Additional suspects who participated in the attack are living on the West Bank and in Norway.

JTA contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Herzog meets with Rabbi Gabriel Davidovich in his home in Buenos Aires on Sunday
March 25, 2019
Argentina Chief Rabbi Davidovich gives thanks for support following attack

By JEREMY SHARON