'I take responsibility' for Benghazi, Clinton says

Ahead of second US presidential debate, secretary of state tells CNN the attack should not be a "political gotcha."

By REUTERS
October 16, 2012 03:19
1 minute read.
Clinton delivers the keynote address

Clinton (R370). (photo credit: REUTERS)

WASHINGTON - US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday told CNN that she assumes responsibility for last month's deadly attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.

"I take responsibility" for what happened on September 11, Clinton said in an interview during a visit to Lima, Peru.



"We can't not engage," Clinton told CNN. "We cannot retreat."

Clinton also sought to play down criticism that the administration initially linked the violence to deaths to a protest over an anti-Muslim film.

There is always "confusion" after an attack, she said.


Related Content

BREXIT PROTESTERS march in the UK
August 19, 2019
Brexit party MEPs appeared on show supporting Holocaust denial

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings