Minaret falls during prayers in Morocco, 36 dead

Officials blame accident on rain; King Mohammed VI orders reconstruction of mosque.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 20, 2010 03:25
1 minute read.
moroccan minaret

moroccan minaret. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A minaret collapsed during Friday prayers — killing 36 people and injuring 71 — at a crowded mosque in the old town of the historic Moroccan city of Meknes, the official MAP news agency said.

Officials blamed the accident on heavy rain that had weakened the minaret at the Bab Berdieyinne Mosque, according to a statement released by the Interior Ministry.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


King Mohammed VI sent the interior minister and religious affairs minister to Meknes, a UNESCO heritage city and one of Morocco's four imperial cities, some 120 kilometers (62 miles) east of the capital Rabat.

The officials visited some of the injured at hospitals in Meknes. The more seriously injured were taken to hospitals in the nearby city of Fes. A team of psychologists also was sent.

The old town of Meknes is a pedestrian zone, which made rescue efforts more difficult.

MAP, citing official sources, said hospitals had already released 51 people, but were still treating 20 injured victims.

The king has ordered the reconstruction of the mosque, which was built four centuries ago under Sultan Moulay Ismail, who made Meknes his capital.



Heavy rain battered the city Friday, and more rain has been forecast for the next week.

Related Content

July 22, 2018
Russian Envoy: Moscow, J'lem reached understandings on southwest Syria

By HERB KEINON