In high-stakes round, Iran talks will take place in the dark

State Department: Parties have together agreed not to divulge details of the issues laid on the negotiating table.

By
February 22, 2014 01:33
1 minute read.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Iranian Foreign Minister Zarif 370. (photo credit: REUTERS/Stephanie McGehee)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

WASHINGTON - Negotiations amongst world powers and Iran over its nuclear program, now at a key stage geared toward achieving a comprehensive diplomatic solution to the crisis, will be kept largely private by the parties involved for the next four months, the United States said on Friday.

Calling the talks "sensitive," State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said that the parties have together agreed not to divulge details of the issues laid on the negotiating table.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Those issues were codified in a framework agreement settled on this week in Vienna by Iran and the P5+1 powers - the US, United Kingdom, France, Russia, China and Germany.

"We're not going to get into any specific issues that we discussed," Harf said, confirming that a framework had been set, and that all future talks would take place in Vienna.

"We really do think that in this sensitive and detailed and complicated negotiation, we can’t do that publicly and we need to do that privately, even discussing the issues."

The next round of talks will take on March 17, but the parties will be in "constant contact" through the interim period, she added.

Harf spoke to journalists on the phone from Jerusalem, where she traveled with Wendy Sherman, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs and America's lead negotiator with Iran.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Sherman was in Israel briefing Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Friday on the progress of the negotiations.

"Suffice it to say, all of our concerns must be met," Harf said, when asked by The Jerusalem Post whether the closure of Iran's mountain-burrowed nuclear facility in Fordo, and the dismantling of its vast infrastructure of centrifuges, were determined by Iran as legitimate topics of negotiation.

Leading up to talks in Vienna this past week, Iranian officials said they would not entertain closing "any facilities" in its nuclear program.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB